Friday, June 23, 2006

Ubuntu....what is it?

Well yesterday we downloaded Ubuntu....a version of Linux, totally free and complete with an office suite and all sorts of gubbins.

(http://www.ubuntu.com/)

Is it any good and why I hear you ask?
Well....its not Microsoft, its totally free and available as a download and essentially it allows you to have a reliable alternative to an MS Windows operating system. It looks and performs well and even though I work in the industry and I'm reasonably computer literate, I can see that it would not give to much trouble to the average bod who is used to XP.
If your a complete novice however, both XP and Ubuntu will be as difficult as each other.

Would I reccomend it?

Unfortunatley, after plodding away trying to install extra applications, very unsuccessfully, a product that we all thought originally was bloody great suddenly became bloody hard and not worth using! So I'm afraid that is a definate loud NO!

Feel free to have a go yourself....we will persevere during the summer and try to see where we are going wrong but until then...stick with XP.

Bill Gates 1....Ubuntu...0

Moriarty....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Moriary, it's Florent the French Frog... you may expose what were the applications you have failed to install, I could help you :)

Moriarty the Mundane said...

Florent....my friend.
Ubuntu is infuriating and in fairness we did not have time to spend and give the program justice. However, we were struggling to install most applications. It was not intuitive enough. We have played with other versions of Linux and found it to be a reasonable experience. However, we favoured ubuntu as it was quick and simple to install. Sadly, after that, it all went wrong. It was stable, and worked well. The applications I was trying to get to work were a 3d animating package called blender, skype and a mail package similar to Microsoft Exchange whos name escapes me now.
If I get a chance to look at it again I may just give you a quick email if that is ok with you? Although, the reason we were trying to use Ubuntu for the mail system is now no longer relevant I am afraid.