Monday, October 23, 2006

Well, I went to Germany last week see...

Well I have been to Germany last week on a "Cultural Exchange" with students from the school I work at here in the UK.
Having been before, I knew roughly what to expect. But, I must say, I never expected to see two cracking bands live.

The first band were setting up in front of the Cathedral in Cologne on the big Piazza(?) and as soon as I saw the local TV camera's I knew we were into something good.
I was not wrong!
The band are called The Sideburns and play what they call garage dirty funk. Me I just loved the live music!
Below is a link to a video I made of just two short songs that I have put up onto youtube.

Watch the sideburns here

The band consists of four "geezers" a drummer, guitarist, bass player and a singer. Look carefully at the video and you will see the german tv cameras to the left at the start. Oh, and check out the instruments and the singers pa system!
I enjoyed them so much and wanting to buy a momento of Germany and Cologne, I bought their CD. My thanks go to the chap (the guitarist I think) who said it would be ok to put the video on youtube. I hope he understood!

The second band...well, they are not a professional band in the true sense of the word but a bunch of "ageing rockers" who love to blast out some old sixties and seventies songs in the basement of a local school.
The guitarist and singer, I consider now to be a friend of mine, (I stop with him on the exchange) named Georg Wehner, the others, although I was introduced, I am afraid I do not know. This was/is my only meeting of them and I found them to be a great bunch of blokes who's heart is in their music, presumably as a release from their day time jobs.

The band is called "butter side down"...
watch them on the links below.

Dead end Street
White Room

You Really Got Me

So, for me, I fealt the five days away was a good result! I can't wait to go back...
Moriarty das weltliche, er...Moriarty the mundane

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We came from Koblenz this day. After a great night we saw a few songs performed by the sideburns in Cologne (Köln Domplatte). GREAT PERFORMANCE

I took some pictures with my Nikon.
If you are interested contact me.
sideburnscologne@gmail.com groetjes chris